Friday, March 6, 2015

Remember That Song?

Happy Friday!
Remember that song "Fooled Around And Fell In Love" by Elvin Bishop? I think it was from 1975 and I am pretty sure it was in the movie Boogie Nights. Great! Now that you are singing that and will be for the rest of the day (you are welcome!) I will fill you in on what it has to do with today's layout and cut file!

When I saw Ashley's "Spread Your Wings" cut file I just knew I already had the absolute perfect photograph for it! I really wanted to use watercolors on these butterflies to mimic the colors of the lovely Monarch. First, I started cutting the butterflies and then I stopped my machine. Why hassle with painting them AFTER they were cut out? Sometimes you just have to fool around!!


I fooled around with my watercolors on a fresh sheet of white cardstock, textured is my preference. Once it was dry, I spattered it with black watercolor paint, smudged it a little here and there and put it in my Cameo as I would a regular sheet of cardstock. I cut out my butterflies, trimmed a few off to get the look I was working towards and glued it to another sheet of white cardstock.


I added the bits and pieces to bring it all together and finished it with a little shimmer spatter and a few cork hearts. This really is a beautiful cut file however you plan to use it.

My boys are pretty much the coolest kids I know and living in the woods they are pretty comfortable with nature. This past summer we were just standing outside chatting with the neighbors and this Monarch just flew up, landed in his hands, and stayed there for quite some time. Thank goodness for iPhones and their "pretty darn great" cameras!

I literally FOOLED AROUND with this technique and cut file AND FELL IN LOVE with how this turned out. I can see myself using this technique many times in the future.

**Quick Tip** Once your watercolors are dry, spin your page a few times before deciding which direction to put it in the machine. Mine is not the original orientation I painted it in.




Be sure to check out all the new files at The Cut Shoppe!



No comments:

Post a Comment